This two day course will provide a comprehensive introduction for someone new to climbing or making the transition from indoor to outdoor climbing. We will focus on developing effective climbing techniques and learning how to belay from both the top and bottom of the crag.
the course will cover
- Identifying hazards at outdoor climbing venues
- Bouldering and warming up
- Developing outdoor climbing techniques: smearing, mantelshelf, jamming etc.
- Belaying, holding falls and lowering
- Tips on looking after the outdoor climbing environment
- Equipment, guidebooks and grading systems
- Anchor selection and building belays
- Belaying from the top of the crag (using dynamic rope)
- Use of static rope to equalise loads; set up anchors to belay from the bottom of the crag
'Based in Yorkshire or the North-East? Interested in any aspect of climbing, coaching or mountaineering for yourselves or your kids? I can strongly recommend you check out Andy Swann's services. A top professional who gets results in a fun and informative way'. 08/05/17 (this is a new course; we will upload a course-specific review soon)
Dates, times and price
April 7/8th, April 21/22nd and 8/9th September / 10.00 - 17.00 / £100
April 7/8th: Almscliffe Crag, Brimham Rocks or Scugdale in North Yorkshire
April 21/22nd and 8/9th September: Northumberland (Alnwick area).
All specialist equipment provided but by all means bring your own if you have it. We have a range of climbing shoes in most sizes.